KSR Undergraduate Student Research Awards
Please check back in late January for updated details.
To encourage field work opportunities among excellent U of T undergraduates, KSR sponsors 1-2 undergraduate student research awards during the summer. Unlike summer NSERC USRAs, the award is open to ALL U of T undergraduates, regardless of citizenship or residency status. KSR will cover a summer stipend for excellent undergraduates pursuing field research in any area of research, provided that they have identified a research supervisor who uses KSR. The award’s purpose is to sponsor independent research experience for undergraduates, not paid field technicians or assistants.
Award value to students: $6,000. Housing provided on site.
Duration: 16 weeks, or ~ Mid‐May until mid‐August
The Fine Print for Faculty Advisors & Students: Students are responsible for their own food and laundry expenses. We require that the student be in residence at KSR for the summer, and that a graduate student, post‐doc, or technician who is capable of supervising the award winner be present on site at the start of the project, until the student is self‐sufficient. Our goal is not to have talented undergraduates abandoned at the front gate. Faculty advisors are responsible for research user fees, equipment, consumables, and housing costs for the student. KSR will provide an estimate of these costs to advisors prior to awards being made and students being contacted.
Eligibility & Minimum GPA:
- Course requirements, credits, enrollment status, etc, follow the NSERC USRA guidelines
- All U of T students are eligible, regardless of Citizenship or Residency Status
- International students must hold student work visas for the summer.
- Minimum GPA: Students must have a minimum GPA of B+ or higher (> 77) to apply, or must indicate in a paragraph extreme circumstances that prevent their transcript from reflecting their true academic merit (e.g., changing majors, learning English or working full time while in school).
- Students may not hold the KSR USRA simultaneously with any other award. If you are also applying for a summer NSERC, UTEA Award, or CGCS award, please inform us. KSR will work with undergraduate administrators in your faculty member’s home department to coordinate on this front.
- Applications should include:
- Unofficial (scanned) transcript
- Letter of intent. One page statement outlining academic goals, interests in field research, how the project will contribute to your career goals. Please describe, briefly, any past research experience such as ROP courses, independent research project courses, field courses.
- The name of the U of T Professor who has agreed to sponsor your application.