Updated: October 15, 2016
The department will consider your application only after:
- You have entered your personal and academic information in the online application,
- You have submitted the application fee and
- The reference letters from the three people providing them for you have been uploaded to our the SGS admissions website (see below)
Once you access the SGS online admissions application and enter your contact information, an applicant identification number and a password will be emailed to you. You can save and return to your application at any point until you move to the payment stage. At that point, you can return to check on the status of the application including whether we have received your supporting documents.
The School of Graduate Studies must receive payment of your application fee before we can consider your application for admission to our graduate program.
You may pay online by VISA or MasterCard. This payment method is secured by Mirpay, a third party authorized by VISA and MasterCard, which handles the transaction. Mirpay provides the School of Graduate Studies with payment confirmation only. SGS and the University of Toronto will not have access to your credit card information. Please note that the process requires that popup blockers on your web browser be disabled.
If you are unable to pay by credit card you may print an invoice from the application and mail it with a certified cheque to:
School of Graduate Studies, 63 St. George Street, Toronto ON Canada M5S 2Z9
The following Supporting Documents must be submitted online through the SGS online application system.It is your responsibility to check the system frequently to verify that the documents have been received.
- A one-page statement describing your interest in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, your goals, and your reasons for choosing our department for graduate studies. Include a list of names of potential supervisors and areas of research in which you are interested.
- A current copy of your résumé or CV. If you have published papers, please provide a URL for the web location of each paper on your CV.
- Three letters of reference. These letters should be submitted electronically by the referees, who will automatically be emailed instructions when you fill their names in, in your online application.
- One electronic or scanned transcript from each post-secondary institution attended. Scanned copies of transcripts must be up to date and must include the transcript "legend", which is usually printed on the back of the paper transcript. The admissions committee will make its decision about your application based on scanned transcript(s). Please ensure that the file(s) is/are complete and readable before submitting. If you are admitted to a graduate program on the basis of scanned transcript(s), presentation and verification of the official paper transcript will be a condition that must be met prior to registration (for tips for ordering transcripts, click here). Current or former University of Toronto students do NOT have to provide a transcript from the University of Toronto.
- International applicants whose language of instruction at their previous university was not English must submit an official English Language Facility Test (e.g. TOEFL, MELAB, IELTS, COPE). Please ensure that the test report is sent to:Graduate Office, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Toronto, 25 Willcocks Street, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA M5S 3B2.
- If you completed a program in a country whose official language is not English, but attended an institution whose language of instruction was English, you should make arrangements for an official statement to be sent from that institution confirming the useof English as the language of instruction and examination to the EEB Graduate Office.
- GRE scores are not required.
Useful downloadable information, check list & forms
School of Graduate Studies Website
Letter of Recommendation (note: this is the information that will be emailed to your letter writers when you enter their names as part of our application).
SGS Academic Calendar 2015-2016
EEB Application Check List
Also see the FAQs and other advice and information on the Prospective Graduate Student page.
To proceed to the SGS online admissions application, please click: SGS Online Admissions Application ( https://apply.sgs.utoronto.ca/)
For further information, please contact the Graduate Office, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Earth Sciences Centre, Room 3046, 25 Willcocks Street, University of Toronto, Toronto ON M5S 3B2, Canada or email firstname.lastname@example.org