Graduate Supervision Document
The Department will consider your application only after:
- You have entered your personal and academic information in the online application;
- You have submitted the application fee;
- You have uploaded all required supporting documents; and
- The reference letters from the three people providing them for you have been uploaded to the SGS admissions website (see below).
Once you access the SGS online admissions application and enter your contact information, an applicant identification number and a password will be emailed to you. You can save and return to your application at any point until you move to the payment stage. At that point, you can upload supporting documents and return to check on the status of the application, including whether we have received your letters of reference.
The School of Graduate Studies must receive payment of your application fee before we can consider your application for admission to our graduate program.
You may pay online using a credit card issued by VISA or MasterCard; please note that credit cards issued by other service providers will not be accepted, nor will any debit cards. If you do not have a credit card issued by either of these two providers, the School of Graduate Studies recommends purchasing a pre-paid credit card.
This payment method is secured by Moneris, a third party authorized by VISA and MasterCard, which handles the transaction. Moneris provides the School of Graduate Studies with payment confirmation only. SGS and the University of Toronto will not have access to your credit card information. Please note that the process requires that popup blockers on your web browser be disabled.
If you are unable to pay by credit card you may request an invoice from email@example.com and mail it with a postal money order to:
Please note that this method of offline payment is discouraged, as it can take significantly longer than online payment. You will not be able to proceed to the supporting documents section of your application, or have reference requests sent, until the School of Graduate Studies confirms payment.
School of Graduate Studies, 63 St. George Street, Toronto ON Canada M5S 2Z9
The following Supporting Documents must be submitted online through the SGS online application system.It is your responsibility to check the system frequently to verify that the documents have been received.
- A one-page statement describing your interest in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, your goals, and your reasons for choosing our department for graduate studies. Include a list of names of potential supervisors and areas of research in which you are interested.
- A current copy of your résumé or CV. If you have published papers, please provide a URL for the web location of each paper on your CV.
- Three letters of reference. These letters should be submitted electronically by the referees, who will automatically be emailed instructions when you fill their names in, in your online application.
- One electronic or scanned transcript from each post-secondary institution attended. Scanned copies of transcripts must be up to date and must include the transcript "legend", which is usually printed on the back of the paper transcript. The admissions committee will make its decision about your application based on scanned transcript(s). Please ensure that the file(s) is/are complete and readable before submitting. If you are admitted to a graduate program on the basis of scanned transcript(s), presentation and verification of the official paper transcript will be a condition that must be met prior to registration (for tips for ordering transcripts, click here). Current or former University of Toronto students do NOT have to provide an official transcript from the University of Toronto; however they must still upload a scanned copy.
- International applicants whose language of instruction at their previous university was not English must submit an official English Language Facility Test (e.g. TOEFL, MELAB, IELTS, COPE). Please review the instructions on the School of Graduate Studies' website for electronic submission of official scores.
- If you completed a program in a country whose official language is not English, but attended an institution whose language of instruction was English, you should make arrangements for an official statement to be sent from that institution confirming the use of English as the language of instruction and examination to the EEB Graduate Office.
- GRE scores are not required.
Useful downloadable information, check list & forms
School of Graduate Studies Website
Letter of Recommendation (note: this is the information that will be emailed to your letter writers when you enter their names as part of our application).
SGS Academic Calendar 2017-2018
EEB Application Check List
Also see the FAQs and other advice and information on the Prospective Graduate Student page.
To proceed to the SGS online admissions application, please click: SGS Online Admissions Application ( https://apply.sgs.utoronto.ca/)
For further information, please contact the Graduate Office, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Earth Sciences Centre, Room 3046, 25 Willcocks Street, University of Toronto, Toronto ON M5S 3B2, Canada or email firstname.lastname@example.org